Self-Love Handbook: DIY Pedicure
It’s always time for a dose of self-love. There’s nothing like snuggling up in front of the fire with a mug of tea and a box set. If you’re enjoying a winter’s evening in the warm, why not treat yourself to a DIY pedicure? Soft, smooth, sandal-ready feet under your Uggs.
Here is a simple DIY pedicure from our resident beauty editor to try at home. We’ve also suggested a handful of Heathcote & Ivory favourites that will add a bit of luxury to your home pedicure. With or without, pampering your feet with that DIY pedicure makes a wonderful, relaxing treat.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
Tea tree essential oil or lavender bath salts
Foot file (optional), nail file, clippers
Nail polish - clear undercoat and colour top coat
10 STEP DIY PEDICURE
1. Fill a bowl with water as warm as you can bear and add a few drops of tea tree oil or a dose of softening lavender bath salts.
3. Place your feet in the bowl, sit back and relax. Maybe find a good, short podcast and play.
4. After about 5 minutes, remove one foot and dry with a hand towel.
5. Soften hard areas of skin with a foot file (if you’re used to doing this before soaking your feet, that’s fine too), clip nails straight across with a clipper and soften sharp edges with a nail file.
6. Push down cuticles gently with an orange stick.
7. Dry nails then apply a clear nail polish undercoat.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 7 on the other foot.
9. If you want to apply a colour, do so to each foot now. First, wrap a twist of tissue (or toe separators if you have them) around your toes, then apply. Wait for two minutes then apply a top coat. Allow to dry for 10 minutes.
10. Apply foot cream. Massage in for a few minutes. Really work the soles of your feet and massage every single toe with your fingers, too. It’s super relaxing.
H&I SHOPPING LIST
We’ve curated a handful of beauty treats to help elevate your pedicure into the realms of pure luxury. You deserve it.
Lavender Fields Bathing Salts
Hurry, these lavender bath salts selling out fast. The blend of lavender and wild hops essential oils makes this a soothing, relaxing treat.
Neroli & Lime Leaves Manicure Set of Hand Cream, Cuticle Cream and Nail Brush
The contents of this sun-filled neroli-scented set are perfect for a pedicure as well as a manicure. Massage feet with the vitamin E hand cream, soften cuticles with the glycerine and olive fruit oil enriched cuticle cream. Also try brushing the soles of clean and dry feet with the nail brush for an invigorating boost. A bit like dry body brushing, but for the soles of your feet.
Patterns & Petals Emery Board Set
After clipping nails, a gentle sweep with an emery board will soften edges. Be gentle, toenails should be trimmed horizontally to avoid ingrown nails. This set elevates the humble emery board to pretty emery board. What’s not to love.