Why not take some inspiration from RHS Chelsea Flower Show, get into the gardening spirit and grow your own Heathcote & Ivory scents in your garden?
This grow your own article celebrates our Freesia & Wild Strawberry collection. Freesias' captivating, sweetly scented blooms and array of beautiful, ornate colours make a sensational addition to your garden - one of the reasons they're the inspiration behind one of our favourite ranges.
How to Grow Freesias…
- Freesia bulbs can be planted into the ground or in pots from April to July and should flower in summer and autumn.
- Pots should be around 13cm in depth.
- Plant around 7 bulbs per pot (select bulbs that are large and firm for the best results), pointed end upwards, 1-2 inch deep, covering firmly.
- Use a rich or multipurpose compost with added 1/3 grit for good drainage.
- Water regularly to keep damp (but not wet) and keep shaded in a cold greenhouse or conservatory to establish a firm rooting system.
- Once growth has started, place in a sunny window or put into full sunlight outside and keep watering.
- The plants will grow for approximately 12 weeks before blooming. When the buds show colour, you can bring them indoors.
- Freesias need support to keep upright as they grow - wooden garden canes can be used. Stake freesias when they reach a height of 6 to 8 inches.
Enjoy these beautiful flowers in your garden and in your home with the Freesia & Wild Strawberry collection. Get growing!